Website Makeover Tips
Your website has the potential to be one of your most powerful sales tools – but only if it’s constantly generating leads and turning them into customers.
Most business owners have at least a rudimentary website, but unless it captures a visitor’s attention, makes it easy to find crucial information and inspires action, your website isn’t doing its job.
Fortunately a few simple fixes can make a big difference generating leads on the web. Follow our 3 website makeover tips to start converting more visitors into paying customers.
1. Build a site that invites visitors to stay awhile
How well your website is working for you all comes down to traffic. A visitor will decide in three seconds whether to stay or click away. One of the most common culprits in repelling online customers is clutter.Your site should have a clean look with a balance of graphics, text and plenty of white space. Use short 3 to 4 sentence paragraphs, subheadings, lists and bullet points to guide the eye down the page. And most importantly, be sure to end each page with a clear call to action that invites your reader to subscribe, learn more, add to cart or contact you.
If your website needs an overhaul or you’re starting from scratch, a professional website builder solution can help you to capture more leads.
2. Make sure your site is mobile-friendly
Your website should engage all of your customers, including those who want to connect with your business via their smartphones or tablets.Typically mobile-users are looking for very specific information when they search a website, like product specs or directions. A site that is slow and cumbersome to navigate on a small device can quickly frustrate a mobile user and potentially lose a sale.
Follow these quick tips for making your website mobile-friendly:
- Make sure contact info is easy to find at the top and bottom of each page.
- Use site segmentation as a design tool to help quickly narrow searches.
- Include podcasts or video as alternatives to lengthy white papers.
- Review Google’s Webmaster Guide for more tips on building a mobile-friendly site.
3. Reach out to your customers beyond the gap
The biggest gap to bridge online is proving that behind your website is a real person who cares about his or her customers. Personalizing your website will help show your customers they’re going to deal with someone they can trust, who stands for a great product and will reward their business with excellent customer service.
Reach out to your customers with a useful video about one of your products or services. Invite them to get to know you better through your blog and monthly newsletter. Share the kind words your customers are saying about you via testimonials. And don’t forget to post a professional photo of you and your friendly team.
- Explore website development services available in the MasterCard Business Owner Toolbox.
- Surf the internet to find examples of sites that you admire to obtain some best practices.